In a few weeks pirates from all over Europe will gather at our beloved Pirate Summit. People sharing the pirate spirit will be everywhere. The Pirate Summit is, however, also the time of the year to not only feel but show and live this spirit. In case you’re not familiar with the pirate look and talk, we’ve prepared a quick and easy pirate guide.
How to dress
Eyepatch, pirate hat, pet parrot, sword (fake please), a huge beard (if you can), wooden leg. Well, you get the concept. It is all about making your inner pirate visible. For the ones wondering whether we’re joking right now… No, we’re not! But have a look yourself.
How to talk
For sure you have come across the typical pirate ARRR! – which you can use in almost any situation – a few times already. Yep, this is lesson 1. Not too difficult, ey? Use it once in a while and you’ll be fine. We’ll make sure to remind you of that one as well 🙂 Still, if you want to impress your fellow pirates even more, make sure to memorize a few of the following words and sentences as well.
Lesson 2 – Intermediate
- Ahoy – Hello
- Aye – Yes
- Aye aye – I understand and will do as you told me
- Heartie / matey – Shipmate /friend
- Savvy / Savvy? – I understand / Do you understand?
- Show a leg – Wake up / get up
Lesson 3 – Advanced
- Don’t ever use ‘my’, ‘mine’ or ‘myself’. Stick to ‘me’ in all cases. “Got meself a fine ship!”
- Don’t ever use ‘you’, ‘your’, ‘yours’. Instead it is just ‘ye’. “Ye are a scurvy lubber.”
- The most important thing, however: Don’t talk fancy. Be real and speak from the heart. Blurt it out. If you feel like it, even growl and mutter.
If you want to do more, find translations for almost everything here.
This is going to be fun! #eps14